Homeopathic Help for Recovery from Surgery

If you are looking for my National Center for Homeopathy webinar on recovery from surgery, it is available for viewing on YouTube.  Webinar attendees also requested access to the slides for reference:  Surgery Webinar Slides.

Sometimes we use homeopathy simply to support healing during allopathic treatment.  Surgery is one such time.

When you’ve decided to undergo surgery, homeopathy can speed healing or the surgical site while controlling pain.  To me, that’s a win-win.

Here’s my easy protocol for supporting recovery from surgery using homeopathy… People have found it helpful for recovery from vasectomy, breast surgery, knee surgery, etc.–all of which they were able to do without the use of conventional painkillers and with speedy recoveries that surprised them and their medical doctors.  [You also can purchase surgery recovery assistance from me here.]

Remedies

You can order the Helios surgery combo here; in the Order section, just request the Surgery combo in 200c & 30c, 4g, granules.  Then use it as described below.

To put a Surgery combo together for yourself, here’s what you’ll need:

~ 2 sterilized containers for water, such as 4 oz. dropper bottles, water bottles with a pop-up spout, or covered jars if you are careful to use a sterilized teaspoon for each dose.  [You can reuse one bottle if you sterilize it again when you are switching from 200c to 30c.]

– Any or all of the following remedies that are pertinent to your surgery in both 200c and 30c:  Arnica [bleeding, swelling], Bellis Perennis [deep tissue injury], Calendula [fight infection], Hypericum [nerve repair], Staphysagria [incisions].  If your surgery also involves ligaments or tendons, you might add Rhus Tox and Ruta to your mix.

If it is for dental surgery, I’d suggest you include Arnica, Calendula, Hypericum, and Ruta.  For joint surgery, I’d suggest you include Arnica, Calendula, Hypericum, Staphysagria, Rhus Tox, and Ruta.  If the surgery involves broken bones, you could add Symphytum 6c, 12c, or 30c to each of the bottles described next.

~ Put 5-10 pellets each of all of the 200c potencies in one bottle together, then fill the bottle with distilled water.  When the pellets have dissolved fully, shake the bottle just enough to mix.  Label it “Surgery 200c” or something similar.  You will use this in the first 2 days of recovery.  One dropper, one teaspoon, or one sip/gulp is one dose of remedy.

~ Put 10 pellets each of all of the 30c potencies in one bottle together, then fill the bottle with distilled water.  When the pellets have dissolved fully, shake the bottle just enough to mix.  Label it “Surgery 30c” or similar.  You will use this after the first 2 days of recovery, when you are no longer using the 200c.  One dropper, one teaspoon, or one sip/gulp is one dose of remedy.

Dosage for Minor Surgery

Before Surgery:  Take one dose of Arnica 200c to limit bleeding during surgery.

Immediately after Surgery:  Take one dose of the Surgery 200c.

Recovery from Surgery, First 2 Days:  Initially, you will have painkillers and anesthesia in your body from the surgery, making it harder to use your discomfort as a guide.  So, about 2 hours after surgery, take another dose of Surgery 200c.

From then on, you likely will be able to use your pain as a guide.  Typically, in the first 24 hours after surgery, people need 2-5 doses of Surgery 200c.  You should need less in the second 24 hours than you did in the first 24 hours.

One reason I like to recommend using the pop-up spout water bottle for the remedy is that it is easy to use at night, and it is important to stay on top of your dosing at night too.  Take it when you need it, but if you need it more than every 2 hours, use the allopathic pain medication given to you by your physician.

Recovery from Surgery, Third Day onward:  You should switch to the Surgery 30c on the 3rd day of your recovery, taking it as needed.  Again, you may start with 2-5 doses in the first day, every 2 hours at the most.  Stay on top of it at night, and taper as needed.  Within a few days, you should no longer need the Surgery remedy combo.

Beware Shortened Recovery

One “problem” with supporting recovery from surgery homeopathically is that healing is faster and better than expected.  You’re probably wondering why that is a problem!  It can be an issue when a person [or animal] is supposed to restrict movement for a certain amount of time based on conventional ideas about how long healing takes.  In other words, a two-week movement restriction that is imposed based on expectation of conventional recovery might be too long for someone [or a pet] that is being supported homeopathically.

This is why I suggest that you ask your doctor [or vet] about any restrictions on movement:  Instead of sticking to a time-frame, ask what signs would indicate adequate healing that would make movement permissible.  Or, if they need to see the surgery patient, schedule your appointment a little sooner than they normally would.  So, if they normally would see the patient for a follow-up after two weeks to verify adequate healing and thus permit movement, schedule for a week or 10 days instead.

One Person’s Experience

…Pamela provided valuable assistance with my husband’s minor surgery. She gave him a special surgery remedy and recommended dosages before and after his surgery. Of course the hospital provided vicodin for pain, but with Pamela’s special surgery remedy (and continual contact) he was able to heal and recover without taking any of the pain medications. She checked in with us all weekend to see how he was feeling and made changes to dosages as needed.

DISCLAIMER:  THIS INFORMATION IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY

• The information on this site is posted for educational purposes only, and not intended to constitute medical advice. As with any important medical matter, you are advised to consult an experienced health care provider concerning your specific health concerns.
  • No doctor-patient relationship is intended, implied or created by the posting or viewing of information on this site; nor is a doctor-patient relationship created by the submission or exchange of questions or information via email or otherwise with Pamela Lialias.
  • Readers are responsible for their use of information provided on this blog or linked to from this site. Pamela Lialias assumes no liability for the same.
  • Pamela Lialias has made reasonable efforts to ensure the accuracy of information on this blog site, but absolute accuracy is not guaranteed.
  • Always check with your health care provider.
Advertisements

16 Comments

1. Marla says:

Our dog, Hannah, had a torn acl and a luxated patella. The doctor said the surgery was much more intense than he expected, and he didn’t expect her to heal well. He said several times he thought he’d probably have to go back in and do a second surgery because he didn’t expect her to fully heal. Well, she healed up just great! The doctor was quite shocked and amazed. We followed Pamela’s surgery protocol, and I’m sure that is what made all the difference for Hannah. Thanks so much Pamela!

2. Marla says:

More about Hannah…the doctor made a mistake and did not correctly place a coupler for her acl repair. So sadly, she had to have a second surgery to correct it. The doctor told me that the area he was so concerned about not healing not only healed, it healed so perfectly that it looked like he had never gone in there! Also, he said she looked like she had had 2-3 months of healing, when it had only been 2.5 weeks! Thank you again Pamela!!

• You are so welcome! I am so glad for you and for Hannah. She deserves to have something go a little easy after her difficult start in life.

For reference for those who might be reading this and working on a formula for a knee surgery, the combination used for Hannah included all of the remedies listed as possibilities, including Rhus Tox and Ruta, with the exception of Bellis Perennis because it is more appropriate for deeper tissue injuries like surgeries in the abdominal area.

Here’s to hoping Hannah also is helping to spread the word about the ease and magnitude of healing that is possible!

3. Jeri says:

While talking to my friend Marla about an upcoming surgery for a mast cell tumor on my dog, Dubhie, she suggested I look to Pamela’s Blog for some support for her healing. We followed Pamela’s Recovery from Surgery formula, and were amazed at how fast Dubhie’s leg healed from the surgery. The veterinarian’s office was astounded at how far her incision had healed one week after the surgery. Three weeks after her surgery, she is ready for our regular four mile hikes through the woods every day. Thank you Pamela! (And Marla for directing me to Pamela’s Blog) 🙂

4. Kathy says:

First, thank you for having the webinar, last night! It was very informative and useful!

Second, I have a question, when making the homeopathic cocktails, how much (# of pellets) of each remedy do you put in the bottles? Also, does it matter how big the dropper bottle is and the amount of purified water?

Thank you!

Kathy

• Hi, Kathy.

I am so glad that you found the webinar worthwhile; I certainly enjoy sharing my experiences and how-to’s with homeopathy. I look forward to your success stories too!

WATER DOSING: Because of the varying degree to which homeopathic pharmacies medicate their pillules, my general response to that question is 1 dose of remedy pills in 1 ounce of water. One dose of remedy pills is 1-3 pills most of the time. Remedies sold in the U.S. print a recommended number of pills per dose on the label, I think.

COCKTAILS: A full dose worth of each remedy goes into a cocktail.

Does that seem like a lot? It can be more than necessary–the first time I made a remedy cocktail, I made up a 16 oz. bottle using only a single dose of each remedy, and the remedy cocktail was highly effective.

However, I make that recommendation because you can put in one dose of each remedy per ounce of water used, and it should not be too much. That is to say, I err on the side of more doses to increase likelihood of effectiveness across a wide range of circumstances under which people will be making and using these cocktails–with the trade-off being that some people may use more remedy than absolutely necessary, thereby increasing their cost and time.

SIZE OF BOTTLE: The size of bottle is a matter of personal preference–the ratio of remedy to water matters most. I would rather use a larger bottle so that clients do not have to refill it, so I typically use 4 ounces for the 30c cocktail although a 1 ounce or less would be sufficient for the Days 1-2. You can use a larger bottle and only fill it partially with water, too.

That is to say, the size of the dropper bottle is irrelevant to the quality of the dosing, but if you want a bottle large enough that it will not need refilling, I’d suggest 1 ounce for Days 1-2 and at least 2 or 4 ounce for Days 3+, depending on the surgery.

On the other hand, if I were helping someone that I thought might not heed my dosing advice or understand that one teaspoon = one dose, I might give a smaller bottle so they don’t just drink the whole thing as a dose!

AMOUNT OF WATER: So to further elucidate, you would put 4 doses of each remedy into a 4 ounce bottle then fill the remainder of the bottle with purified water [ideally distilled but not necessarily].

Take care,
      Pamela

5. Jean says:

Enjoyed the webinar and feel this is such useful information.
    Question: In my experience with family surgeries (appendicitis, wisdom teeth extractions, emergency injury) the pre-op instructions have always been super strict about putting absolutely nothing in the patient’s mouth for six hours before surgery: no food, no water, no nothing. Since most Western health care providers know little to nothing about homeopathy, asking them if taking Arnica is okay/an exception to this rule has always been met with a stern “no”. Usually I have ignored this and given my family member the arnica just before surgery anyway, but it sure would be nice not to feel like I’m “sneaking” around in order to do this. So, my question is how do you handle this – do you ignore the instruction and give the remedy anyway, talk to the hcp about it, give it six hours early, or something else?

Thanks in advance. I will be caring for my 91 year old father before and after cataract surgery in a few days, so hopefully, your answer will come in time to help me with this.

• Hi, Jean.

I’m glad you enjoyed the webinar. Your family is lucky to have you caring for them through surgery and beyond. My experience with homeopathy in support of cataract surgery has been very positive.

On to your question …

My understanding of the fasting instructions is that they relate to anesthesia–that the muscles are lax and contents of the stomach could flow upstream, so to speak, causing asphyxiation. More and more surgeries are done with only local anesthesia, which makes this issue easy! And, even when there are fasting instructions, there often is an exception for medications taken with small sips of water, for which I would think the pre-surgery homeopathic dose would apply.

However, in those circumstances where the fasting instructions are absolute, you would have a few options that I can see at the moment:

1. Give the dose as close to surgery as is consistent with the fasting instructions, up to 24 hours prior to surgery.
      2. Do not give any pre-surgery doses.
      3. Use olfactory dosing. This is where an open vial of remedy is held under the nose while the person or animal smells the remedy. If you are using Boiron brand remedies, the vial is not open and I would then recommend filling the clear cap with remedy and offering that for the olfactory dose. You can learn more about common forms of dosing, including olfactory dosing, in this blog post.

I do hope that helps and that your father’s surgery is highly successful and easy on all of you!

Take care,
      Pamela

6. Jennifer says:

When making the surgery mix, do I use one pellet of each homeopathic, or the 5 pellets the homeopathic container suggests?
    Also, I was able to find 200c arnica (not 1M), and only 30c of everything else. Will it still work and help after surgery at the lower potencies? How often would you suggest the 30c dose on days 1 and 2?
    I appreciate your vast knowledge and willingness to share and help!

• Thanks for the question, Jennifer.

NUMBER OF PELLETS: You use one dose of dry pellets per ounce of water. So if the brand you have says that 5 pellets = one dose, you use 5 pellets per ounce of water.

POTENCY: To answer your question generally…A lower potency will work, but it likely will [a] require more frequent doses, [b] be less strong in terms of pain management, and [c] take longer to heal.

That said, it is brilliant that you found the Arnica in 200c–that will help significantly in the first days. The other remedies being lower in potency probably will have less of an impact on your overall healing.

Pamela

7. Hi Pam, thank you for your webinar information. I am preparing the remedy cocktails for hip replacement surgery and I have a question/concern. The remedies I have are from Boiron and the dosage is 5 pellets/dose. If I follow your recommendations of 2 doses/oz of water, and using the 6 remedies and 5-10 pellets per dose that would mean I would have to put 60-120 pellets into a little 2 oz amber bottle to dilute w/water!!! I don’t even think I could fit all those in! Is this correct and if so, is it safe? Seems extremely excessive. I also was under the understanding that homeopathic remedies-the higher the dilution the more potent they are. Please advise me? Thank you. joannedimauro@rcn.com

• Hi, Joanne.

I’m glad you found the webinar useful.

Just a reminder, since 1 fluid ounce is 2 tablespoons, and each tablespoon has 3 teaspoons in it, you are getting 6 doses of remedy from a single dry dose. As such, you would be using far more pellets if you took each dose dry.

While I have used a single dose of each remedy in 8-16 oz. of water with my own remedies, I do not know how well each person who will use this protocol has stored their remedies, etc.; hence the recommendation. If you feel that fewer pellets of your remedies will be effective, that is your prerogative, certainly. If taking so many remedies bothers you, then it is your prerogative to take fewer. As I mentioned in the webinar, even a single remedy can have significant benefits.

As far as the math, I believe Boiron recommends 3-5 pellets per dose, and in the webinar I suggested one dose per ounce of water. If you are using 6 remedies, it looks like this: Six remedies x 3 pellets per ounce = 18 pellets per ounce. That makes 36 pellets in 2 ounces of water, not 120.

Higher dilutions are more potent but only if they also have been succussed or ‘potententized.’ [That is a process of pounding the remedy against a solid surface.] Dilution alone will not increase the potency. I believe there are videos etc. out there that illustrate this process, if you are interested.

Best wishes on the success of your surgery and recovery.
      Pamela

• Ok thx Pam, I think I got it now. So you suggest to NOT succuss the remedy (pound it on hard surface or on palm of hand) before taking it each time? That is what I have always been told to do in the past when taking remedies in liquid form.

8. A-ha. I do not suggest succussing for this protocol, in general, that’s correct.

However, I might suggest doing that, for instance, for the first two days if someone could obtain only low-potency remedies–as a means for them to run-up the remedy.

9. Marla says:

I’ve got yet another success story! My friend mentioned that her dog was having ACL surgery, so I told her about my dog, Hannah, and her surgery story. I offered to make her some of Pamela’s surgery mix, but I think she wasn’t interested. Well, she texted me later saying the dog had had the surgery and was not doing well at all and was willing to try anything to help her. So I made her the mix and she came to get it. The next day, she texted me this: “My dog has no pain and is begging to go for a walk. Either a huge coincidence or surgery mix is a miracle cure.” She went on to say: “Vet said she probably won’t put any pressure on it for 2 weeks.” (Dog was putting weight on her leg already.)